Playing dress-up with your pup is incredibly fun. But besides allowing you to show off your best pal in their most adorable outfits, dog clothes actually serve some practical functions. The trick is in learning how to choose dog clothes that serve a purpose that’s more important than our amusement. That means going beyond novelty costumes to select sensible dog apparel that offers warmth, comfort, and safety. When shopping for clothes for your dog, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
1. Types of Dog ClothesThe type of dog clothes you need to buy really depends on the kind of dog you have and the purpose the clothes will serve. For example, short-coated breeds like Pugs and Frenchies have trouble keeping warm on their own so they might benefit from dog hoodies in colder temperatures. They might even need dog coats for winter. The same is true for older dogs who might suffer from joint pain when exposed to the cold.
@jipthefrenchie wearing Pawlenciaga's Pupreme Dog Hoodie.@taco_minnie wearing Pawlenciaga's “WOOF” Dog Hoodie.
2. Proper Fitted Dog ApparelThe proper fit for dog apparel is so much more than being able to get it on. Every portion needs to fit like a glove. Otherwise, your dog will end up squirming, pawing, or even nipping at the clothes. Also, choose clothes that don’t go past the waist, or you risk getting them soiled whenever they have to do their business. Be sure to check out our size guide for an accurate fit.
3. Quality and MakeChoose dog clothes made of soft, breathable fabric like cotton or a premium cotton blend. For dog raincoats, find one made of a light yet durable and waterproof material. Construction is also just as important as the materials used. Typically, the signs of good manufacturing are in the details like the seams and buttons. If there’s some printed design, make sure it’s machine pressed, or it could peel or fade quickly.
@jimi.the.frenchie wearing Pawlenciaga's Black Pupreme Hoodie@lifewithsumi wearing Pawlenciaga's Dog Raincoat
4. Easy to WearIt’s not always easy to get our dogs to wear clothes. So when we need them to suit up, we need to have dog clothes that are easy to put on and just as easy to remove. Otherwise, you might end up with a real struggle. Also, think about how they would affect their collar or harness. Would it be difficult to walk with? Lastly, select clothes that are easy to wash. If it’s safe to throw them in the washing machine, even better!
5. Design and AestheticsAlthough not the most practical factor, the design will always be an important consideration. Feel free to select dog apparel based on your own style and fashion sense. As long as you prioritize their comfort and safety, there’s no harm in dressing them up for the ultimate ‘gram.
A Yorkie matches owner with a Pawlenciaga's Anti Social Puppy Club x Bathing-Pup hoodie
There are a number of reasons why a dog should wear clothes, and many pet parents would even agree that you don’t really need a reason to dress your pup up. But by keeping these factors in mind while shopping for dog clothes, you can make sure you’re spending your money on practical dog apparel that will serve its purpose and endure your pup’s habits.